Generic Alprazolam is an oral formulation which belongs to the category of benzodiazepine. This medicine is used for the treatment of anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression. Various brands containing generic Alprazolam as an active component are Xanax and Tranax. Alprazolam treats anxiety by affecting the chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with anxiety.
Prescribed dose of generic Alprazolam
A person should administer a prescribed dose of 0.25 to 0.5 mg, thrice in a day along with an ample amount of water. You should avoid breaking or crushing of this medicine and swallow it as whole to prevent the sudden exposure of the overdose of this medicine.
Contraindications of generic Alprazolam
- A person having hypersensitivity towards generic Alprazolam should avoid intake of this medicine.
- This medication should not be administered by a person having a history of drug or alcohol addiction.
- If you are suffering from narrow angle glaucoma, then you should not consume this medicine.
Drug interactions of generic Alprazolam
- H2 antihistamine such as Cemitidine, Ranitidine
- Anti-HIV medicine such as Digoxin, Ritonavir
- Azole antifungal such as Fluconazole, Voriconazole
Precautions to be followed while administering generic Alprazolam
- Intake of Xanax impairs your thinking and reaction so you should not drive or perform any work that requires complete alertness.
- You should avoid drinking of alcohol or any product containing alcohol along with this medicine as it may lead to various undesired effects.
- You should avoid consumption of grape fruit or grape juice along with this medicine as it decreases the biological availability of this medicine.