Generic Prazosin is an orally administered medication that is well-known medication for the treatment of hypertension- High blood pressure. This medication is also used for the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) and Congestive Heart Failure. Prazosin belongs to a class of medication known as an alpha-blocker. It has peripheral vasodilation effects that help to relax the blood vessels so that blood can flow more easily through the body. This working effect of this medication helps to lower high blood pressure; prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems.
What are the contraindications of Prazosin?
- You should not use this medication if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances.
- Do not use this medication if you have chest pain, heart disease, narcolepsy, or kidney problems and having eye surgery.
Some medicines may interact with Prazosin:
- Do not use following medication along with Prazosin such as Furosemide, Hydrochlorothiazide, Verapamil, Propranolol, and Sildenafil etc.
- You should not use this medication if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement.
How to administer Prazosin?
Usual Adult Dose for Hypertension is 1 mg and maintenance dose is 6-15 mg daily given in divided doses orally 2-3 times a day. Prazosin is an orally administered medication. Take this medication with a full glass of water. This medication can be administered mouth with or without food.
What are the side effects of Prazosin?
Dry mouth, frequent urination, dizziness, drowsiness, and headache, lack of energy, lightheadedness, nasal congestion, nausea, and weakness.
What are the precautions that should be followed while using Prazosin?
- Do not use this medication if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding as it can be harmful to the baby. Consult doctor if you want to use.
- Avoid alcohol consuming while using this medication.