Ofloxacin is an antibiotic drug comes under the quinolone antibiotics class of the medication. Ofloxacin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic which works against both the gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. It is used to overcome the bacterial infection in the eye. It decreases the pain in the eye and also used in the conjunctivitis (is an inflammation condition occurred due to bacteria).
Ofloxacin is an exceptional antibiotic which is used in eye infection. It works by inhibiting DNA gyrase, which is a topoisomerase and essential for the replication of bacterial cells. Due to inhibition of DNA gyrase cells are not properly developed and bacterial cell division will not occurred. This condition leads to kill the bacterial cells.
Some conditions are contraindicated with the use of Ofloxacin:
- If someone is allergic to generic Ofloxacin then do not use this drug.
- Avoid in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Breast feeding mother should also avoid the use of this drug.
- Ofloxacin is contraindicated in children who are under the age of 2 years.
- A person who is suffering from the kidney and liver disease should not use this drug.
- Patients who are suffering from the mental disorders like epilepsy and seizures should not use this drug.
- Do not use this drug if you have macular edema.
- Antiepileptic drugs- Phenytoin, Carbamazepine
- CNS stimulants- Nicotine
- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs- Salicylic acid, Paracetamol
Storage condition of Ofloxacin
- This eye drop should be stored at room temperature in cool and dry place.
- It should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- It should be stored away from direct heat, sunlight and moisture.
How to use Ofloxacin: Wash your hands thoroughly with water and then check the dropper tip properly. Avoid touching the dropper tip against your eye or anything else as dropper should be kept clean. Tilt your head back, pull down your lower lid with your index finger to form a pocket. Grip the dropper and put the drug into the eye. One drop should be poured in a single time. The drug should be used in three times daily.
Missed dose: If you missed the dose then take it as soon as you remember. If it is the time for the next dose, then do not use it, skip the missed dose and wait for the next consecutive dose.
Overdose: In case of overdose contact with your health care professional.
Side effects: Like all drug Ofloxacin also produced some types of side effects like eye burning or discomfort, eye stinging or redness, tearing eyes, sensitivity to light, blurred vision, dry eyes etc.
Precaution should be taken while using this drug:
- Ofloxacin eye drop should not be used if the person is wearing contact lenses or use with care.
- Do not drive or perform any task that requires clear vision after the use of this eye drop as it may cause blurred vision temporarily.
- Do not contaminate the eye dropper with hands, always use a sterile dropper.