Imatib has commonly used medication for the treatment of leukemia (Cancer that occurs in white blood cells). The chief active constituent present in the Imatib is Imatinib. This medication is also used for the treatment of bone marrow diseases, skin cancer, and intestinal tumors (e.g. gastrointestinal stromal tumors [GIST]). It helps to prevent cancer from growing in patients after surgical removal of GIST. Imatib is also used to manage Mastocytosis (Excess amounts of mast cells in the body) or Hypereosinophilic syndrome (large amounts of Eosinophils in the body). This medication belongs to a class of medication known as Kinase inhibitor. It shows action by prohibiting the action of the abnormal protein that stimulates cancer cells to multiply.
Method of administration of Imatib:
Imatib is an orally administered medication; take it with a full glass of water. Administer this medication with a meal. If a patient is unable to swallow the whole tablet then he can dissolve dose in a glass of water or apple juice. Administer Imatib on a regular basis. Do not administer two doses at once.
Contraindications of Imatib:
- Do not use if you are allergic to ingredient present in the Imatib.
- Do not use if you are suffering from liver or kidney disease, heart failure, anemia, bone marrow problems, low white blood cell levels, low blood platelet levels, or bleeding problems and edema.
What are the precautions of Imatinib?
- You should not eat grapefruit or grapefruit juice along with this medication.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding then in that case you should consult doctor before taking this medication.
- While using this medication Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths as it can cause sunburned more easily.
What are the side effects of Imatib?
Diarrhea, dizziness, dry skin, anxiety constipation, gas; hair loss, headache, increased tear production, and joint pain mild loss of appetite.