Understanding about Elavil
Amitriptyline is the medicament used for the treatment of Depression. It is generally available by their generic name, and former it may be sell under brand name Elavil. Amitriptyline HCL is the active constitute of Elavil. It is tricyclic depressant to treat symptoms of depression. It shows it action on the central nervous system, It effect chemical in the brain that is unbalanced in people with symptoms of depression.
Amount to be taken
The medicament comes in the form of a tablet. Elavil is available in the different dosage form of 10 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg, 75 mg, and 100 mg.The usual starting dose for Depressive treatment is 25 mg three times a day at bedtime. The dose of 300 mg is recommended for adults and 25 mg for an elderly patient. You can consume the medicament with food or without food. The medicament shows its effect within 3 weeks but for complete result use the medicament for 30 days.
some side effect that may occur while using this medication is Drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, weight gain, Bleeding gum.
Conditions for avoiding
- If you have a history of heart attack.
- If you have a history of liver disease
- If you have a history of diabetes
- If you have a history of bipolar disorder
Possible drug interaction
- acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)
Safety precaution to be taken
- Before going for any surgery tell your doctor that you are using amitriptyline.
- Don't drink alcohol if using Elavil.
- Don't drive while taking medicament as it may cause blurred vision.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight while taking this medication.