What is Canesten pessary and what is it used for?
Canesten pessary contains a generic medicine called Clotrimazole. It is used to treat inflammation in the vagina (vaginitis) also called as vaginal thrush. It is used to prevent infection in the vagina that Candida albicans or other yeasts.
How does Canesten pessary act?
Clotrimazole ( an antifungal agent) interferes with cell membranes of the fungi and stop the fungi from producing a substance called ergosterol (an important component of the cell membrane). The interference in the production of ergosterol causes the destruction of fungal cell membrane and results in the death of the fungi.
Under what conditions the use of Canesten pessary is contraindicated?
- If you have allergic reactions with Canesten pessary, then avoid using this medicine.
- Canesten pessary should not be recommended for use in the children.
What are the drug interactions of Canesten pessary?
Canesten pessary shows interaction Tacrolimus or Sirolimus and enhances the plasma level of Tacrolimus or Sirolimus. This may result in symptoms of tacrolimus or sirolimus overdosage.
What is the correct administration of Canesten pessary?
First of all take an applicator and pull out the plunger until it stops. Then fit the Canesten pessary into the applicator. Carefully place the applicator as deep as is comfortable into the vagina. Holding the applicator in place slowly press the plunger to deposit Canesten pessary into the vagina. Remove the applicator from the vagina and dispose of the applicator in safe place.
What are the undesired effects of Canesten pessary?
There are some undesired effects of Canesten pessary such as irritation or burning sensation in the vagina, rash, breathing problem, weakness, dizziness, nausea, and swelling of your lips, throat or tongue.
What are safety measures that a woman has to follow while using Canesten pessary?
- Canesten pessary may damage condoms and diaphragms, so use other method of contraceptives while using this medicine.
- If your symptoms of vaginal thrush have not got better within a week of using the pessary, then consult your doctor.
- You should always avoid intimate act with your partner while using this product,