Meridia is an orally active agent for the treatment of obesity, which contains. Sibutramine hydrochloride monohydrate as its main constituents, which aid weight loss by shifting neurotransmitter within the brain and it comes under the category of centrally-acting serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor(SNRI).For better result, it may be used along with diet and exercise to treat obesity that may be related to diabetes, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure.
The available dose of Meridia is 5mg, 10mg or 15mg.The starting recommended dose for therapy is 10 mg tablet by oral route once in a day, most preferably in the morning time. The amount of dose may be increased up to 15 mg by a doctor after some weeks for more effective results. Blood pressure and heart beat should be checked on regular basis if you are taking medication and don't consume Meridia more than one year.
Some usual side effect of Meridia runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough, fast or pounding heartbeats, high blood pressure, new or worsening shortness of breath, seizure (convulsions), fast or uneven heartbeats, dry mouth, upset stomach, loss of appetite, constipation, stomach pain.
- Don't take Meridia if you are taking any MAO inhibitors
- If you are allergic to Sibutramine, don't take Meridia
- If you have a history of glaucoma or high blood pressure.
- If you have a history of heart disease (congestive heart failure, heart rhythm disorder)
- Vitamin D3
Safety precaution needs to be taken
- Avoid taking use of cold and cough medication
- Don't consume alcohol if using Meridia
- Make list of medicine using along with Meridia
- Be alert while doing the driving.