Norethindrone available in the form of tablets is a synthetic progestin hormone. It is used to treat abnormal bleeding in uterus, amenorrhea and endometriosis. Progestins are steroid hormones having a similar action as that of progesterone hormone. It functions by discontinuing the production of gonadotropin from the pituitary gland, which results in preventing ovulation in females. While consuming this tablet keep a gap of 24 hours between two doses.
Mechanism of action of Norethindrone
Norethindrone containing progestin easily diffuses into the target cells, such as the reproductive system, the mammary gland, hypothalamus and the pituitary gland and binds to the progesterone receptor .Once it binds to this receptor; progestin slows down the release of the gonadotropin releasing hormone from the hypothalamus resulting in stopping the ovulation in females.
Conditions in which Norethindrone should not be consumed are-
- Avoid consumption of this medication in case of the suspected pregnancy.
- Avoid intake of this medicament in case of breast cancer or benign or malignant tumor should not consume this drug.
- Females sensitive to Norethindrone should avoid intake of this drug.
- Acute liver and kidney disease patients should not consume this medicine.
- Females undergoing abnormal bleeding from her genital region should not take this medication.
Norethindrone should not be consumed in following conditions-
- HIV protease inhibitors- Ritonavir, Saquinavir
- Drugs for treatment of fungal and viral infection- Ethambutol , ketoconazole
- Anti tuberculosis drug- Tetracycline, Rifampin, Ethambutol
Storage conditions of Norethindrone
- This medication should be stored at room temperature in a cool and dry place.
- It should be kept away from the reach of children and should be stored away from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
DOSE OF NORETHINDRONE
Dose for abnormal uterine bleeding and amenorrhea - Consume 2.5 to 10 mg orally on a regular basis for 5 to 10 days during the second half of the menstrual cycle.
Dose for contraception- Consume 0.35mg dose of this medication orally, every day at the same time.
Dose for Endometriosis- Take 5 mg orally for 2 weeks, increase the dose by 2.5mg every day for 2 weeks, until the dose reaches 15mg per day.
For best result take this medicine regularly at the same time.
In case if a dose of this medication is missed, then take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for the next dose, then skip the missed dose and consume the next dose. Do not take 2 doses at the same time.
If overdose of this drug is taken, then some overdose symptoms may occur such as-
- Excess of vaginal bleeding
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Headache, dizziness
- Nausea , vomiting
If any of the above mentioned symptoms occur, then consult your nearby doctor.
Norethindrone may show some adverse effects such as-
- Breast enlargment or swelling
- Acne, weight loss or gain
- Swelling of hands and legs
- Itching, redness of skin and rashes
Various precautionary tips that should be followed while consuming this medication are-
- Females with the history of blood clotting or using blood thinning agents such as Heparin, Warfarin should not consume this medication.
- Avoid intake of this medication if you are suffering from various cardiac diseases like heart attack, arrhythmia, stroke etc.
- If the female is undergoing vaginal bleeding due to unknown reasons should not take this drug.
- Consumption of this medication may cause melasma, so avoid prolonged exposure to the sun or use sunscreen and sunglasses for protection from sun rays.