Bethanechol is used to relieve difficulties in urinating caused by surgery, drugs, or other factors. It works by helping the bladder muscle to squeeze better, thereby improving your ability to urinate.
Dosage Information for Bethanechol:
Bethanechol is available as 10mg, 250mg and 50mg tablets. Take this medication by mouth on an empty stomach (1 hour before or 2 hours after meals), usually 3 to 4 times daily or as directed by your doctor. Taking this medication on an empty stomach will help reduce nausea/vomiting. Dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. However, some side effects are likely to occur while using the medication such as upset stomach, vomiting, dizziness, sweating or flushing, shortness of breath, fainting and slow heart rate.
- if you are allergic to Bethanechol or any other drugs.
- prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially procainamide (Pronestyl), quinidine (Quinaglute), medications for colds or nasal congestion, and vitamins.
- if you have or ever had asthma, a bladder infection, epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, Parkinson's disease, an overactive thyroid gland, or ulcers.
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- Medications for high blood pressure (e.g., mecamylamine).
- This medication may interfere with certain laboratory tests (including amylase/lipase levels), possibly causing false test results.
- This drug can make you dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires your alertness until you are sure that you can perform such activities safely.
- Limit the use of alcoholic beverages and tobacco.