Benazepril has gained its importance in the management of Hypertension. It lowers down the high blood pressure in a patient who suffers from hypertension. Benazepril itself is a generic medicine belongs to a class of medicine called angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. It is also used to treat congestive heart failure, and heart attacks, and also helps to put a stop to renal and retinal complications of diabetes. It helps in dilating and relaxing the blood vessels that causes lowering of blood pressure.
Who should not use this medicine?
- It is contraindicated in case a patient has an allergic reaction to any ingredient in Benazepril or to any other ACE inhibitor.
- The use of Benazepril has contraindicated in case a patient has a history of angioedema.
- A pediatric patient with severe kidney problems should not use this medicine.
- A diabetic patient or patient with kidney disease along with any medication that contains Aliskiren should not use this medicine.
What are the medicines that alter the therapeutic effectiveness of Benazepril?
There is some medicine alter the therapeutic effectiveness of Benazepril such as Eplerenone, Amiloride, Everolimus Or Sirolimus, Insulin, Glyburide, Aliskiren, Valsartan, Sodium Aurothiomalate, Furosemide, Hydrochlorothiazide, Celecoxib, Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, and Lithium.
How can Benazepril be used?
Benazepril tablet is commercially available in different strengths such as 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg. A patient can consume 5 mg of Benazepril orally once a day along with diuretic as the initial dose and without diuretic a patient can take 10 mg of Benazepril. The dose may be increased up to 20 mg to 40 mg of Benazepril orally as a single dose or in two equally divided doses. The maximum dose of Benazepril a patient can take in a day is 80 mg.
Adverse effects of Benazepril:
Sometimes a patient can face some adverse effects of Benazepril such as faintness, dizziness, sleepiness, headache, chest pain, fainting, muscle weakness, and slow or irregular heartbeat.
- Potassium level in the blood may get increased while you are using this medicine, so use this medicine with caution.
- Dizziness or faintness may also occur particularly when you get up from a lying or sitting position or if you have been consuming a diuretic, so you're advised not to carry out risky work.
- If you're pregnant or planning to become pregnant, then avoid using this medicine.