Acular ketorolac is an opthalmic preparation used to combat the eye pain, burning, and stinging in eye. It contains ketorolac trometamol, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) as an active ingredient. It functions by blocking the certain natural substances which are associated with pain. It is also used to overcome the inflammation, redness, swelling, irritation and pain occurred during cataract surgery etc.
Generic Ketorolac belongs to the NSAIDs which help to decrease the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are responsible for the occurring the pain. Prostaglandins are made COX-1 and COX-2 which are the main cause of the swelling and inflammation. When, a person instills the Acular eye drop, it decreases the production of COX-1 and COX-2 which helps to reducing the pain and inflammation.
There are some conditions which are contraindicated with Acular eye drop:
- Do not use this drug if you are allergic generic Acular ketorolac.
- Do not use this drug if you have the recent history of eye surgery.
- Avoid the use of this drug if you have the eye infection.
- Do not use this eye drop if you are pregnant or breast mother.
- If you have sugar diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis then avoids the use of this drug.
- If you have the kidney or liver problem, then avoid the use of this drug.
Various types of drugs are interacted with Acular ketorolac:
- Corticosteroid drugs- Prednisone
- Anti-platelet drugs such as Clopidogrel
- Blood thinners such as Dabigatran
- Other eye medications -Corticosteroid eye drops
- NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or naproxen
- Store it cool and dry place.
- Keep away from the children and pets.
- It should be stored at room temperature.
How to use Acular ketorolac:
- Wash your hands before using this drug.
- Remove the cap of the bottle.
- Move your head back and pull your lower lid and make a pouch in this portion.
- Hold the bottle near to the eye and press enough to release the drug.
- Gently pour one drop of the drug and close your eyes for a minute.
- Repeat the same procedure for another eye.
- After using the drug keep tight the cap of the drug's bottle.
Missed dose: If you missed the dose then take it as soon as possible you remember it. Do not exceed the dose the drug.
Overdose: In case of overdose, consult with your care professional.
Precaution should be taken while using this drug.
- Properly wash your eyes with water before using this eye drop.
- Avoid driving after applying this drug as it causes the blurred vision for some time.
- Do not drink the alcohol along with the use of this drug as it produces some side effects.